Prince Albert, Western Cape

Founded: 1842

Named after Queen Victoria's husband.


Click to view large map

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 138, 144-149
Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 168-175, 192-193
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 510-515
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 292-296
Joubert, 'Ora (Ed). 2009. 10 years + 100 buildings : Architecture in a Democratic South Africa. Cape Town: Bell-Roberts Publishing. pp 249-253
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 70
Marincowitz, Helena, Barrella, Lydia & Fransie Pienaar Museum. 2000. The old gables of Prince Albert and in the district. Prince Albert: Fransie Pienaar Museum. pp All
Marincowitz, Helena. 2008. Karoostyle : folk architecture of Prince Albert and environs. Prins Albert: Fransie Pienaar Museum. pp All
Marincowitz, Helena . 2002. Victorian Buildings in Prince Albert. Prince Albert: Fransie Pienaar Museum. pp
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 179
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 88
Prince Albert Writers’ Guild . 2005. Prince Albert (Kweekvallei). Prince Albert: The Guild . pp All
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 134-136
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 72-76

List of structures:

Bona Vista: n.d..
Fransie Pienaar Museum: n.d..
Gamkapoort Dam: 1969.
General Store - now PEP Stores: n.d..
House Sally: 2002.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1865.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk, Zeekoegat: 1906.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerksaal - Hall: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Pastorie, Zeekoegat: 1906.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Zending Kerk: 1906.
NG Kerk Begraafplaas - Cemetery 1844 - 1884: n.d..
Petrol Station - now Retail Units: 1944.
Public buildings: 1912.
Public School - Swartberg High School: 1897.
Seven Arches: n.d..
Showroom, The: n.d..
St John the Baptist Anglican Church: 1895.
Swartberg Hotel: 1864.
Swartberg Pass: 1878-1888.
VGK Primary School, Zeekoegat: n.d..
Zeekoegat Farmstead: n.d..