Click to view map
(SAB Aug 1937:64)
The hotels replaced the old Humewood Beach Hotel which burned down in December 1915. In 1917 the municipality bought the site and a competition was held to for a new hotel but the winning design by BAKER, KENDALL and MORRIS was considered too expensive. The site stood empty for more than 10 years before this building was constructed. On opening it was called the Humewood Hotel but this was changed to the Hotel Elizabeth shortly afterwards. It was sold in 1937 and remained popular until it was demolished in 1971, after the completion of the new hotel, which was erected immediately behind this building, The hotel was referred to locally as "The old Lizzie".
These notes were last edited on 2021 03 15
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.