Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St Alphege's Church
Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal

Ronald BULLOCK: Architect
Date:1927
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Demolished 1973

(SAB Oct 1927:51)

The site for St Alphege’s was bought for £100 in 1914 and a wood and iron building erected here. The Building Fund for a new church was launched in 1926. The foundation stone was laid in 1927, and the first section of the new brick church completed in that year. The dedication of the church took place the following year. The completed church was consecrated in 1955.

The demolition of this church and the building of the present church commenced in 1973. The dedication of the new church took place on St Alphege’s Day, 19 April 1974. The consecration of the church took place on St Alphege’s Day, 19 April 1980.

Source: St Alphege website.

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.