Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Blaine Bridge - First, Gonubie River
Komgha district, Eastern Cape

Joseph NEWEY: Engineer

Date:1895
Type:Bridge
Status:Derelict

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
32°39'15.85" S 27°38'47.47" E

This bridge was replaced by the second Blaine Bridge, a concrete one built in 1962 - about 350m upstream - when the alignment of the original wagon road was substantially changed. A cast iron plaque appears to have been removed from the first bridge, modified and installed at the concrete bridge.

Transcription of cast iron plaque mounted on south balustrade of the second bridge:

BLAINE BRIDGE
SO NAMED
IN HONOUR OF THE LATE
GEO. BLAINE ESQ. M.L.C.
AUGUST 18TH 1895
RECONSTRUCTED AUGUST 1962

Submitted by William MARTINSON

The steel manufacturer was Joseph Westwood and Co of Napier Yard, Millwall, London, England.


Writings about this entry

Walters, Dennis. 2014. Bridging the Eastern Cape : the life and work of Joseph Newey. East London: Coral Tree Press. pg 122 B23