uMnambithi (Ladysmith), KwaZulu-Natal

Founded: 1850

Named after Lady Juana Smith, wife of Sir Harry Smith, Cape governor.


Click to view large map

The name was officially changed from Ladysmith to uMnambithi on 2024 03 22. The Zulu word “namibitheka” means “something tasty”. In this instance it refers to the sweet water of the Klip River.

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 184-188
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 167-168
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 261
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 255
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 143-144
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 231-232

List of structures:

All Saints' Siege Memorial Church: 1882 : 1904.
Burgergedenkteken: 1978.
Community Centre: 1983.
Consolidated Cotton Corporation: n.d..
Courthouse: c1890.
Courthouse: c1848.
Diamond Jubilee Pavilion: c1897.
Ganesa Temple: 1916.
La Verna Hospital Chapel: n.d..
Mosque: n.d..
Natal Bank: c1880.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - First: 1854.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Second: 1928.
Railway Institute: 1903.
Railway Station: n.d..
Regina Pacis Catholic Church: n.d..
Royal Hotel: pre-1901.
Royal Hotel, alt: 1934.
Soofie Sahib Mosque: n.d..
St Joseph's Catholic Church: 1908/ 1941-1946.
Town Hall: 1893 : 1894 : 1902 : 1917.
Two designs for the Railway Institute: 1902.
Wesleyan Hall, Ladysmith: 1924.
Windsor Hotel: 1938.