Alexandria, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1854

Formerly Olifantshoek, it became a separate congregation in 1854. The name was changed to Alexandria in honour of Alexander Smith, a Scottish Minister who came to South Africa in 1823.


Click to view large map

List of references:

Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 93
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 147
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 7

List of structures:

Chicory Plant: n.d..
Karel Landman Monument: 1938. De Kol-rant Farm,
Masonic Hall - The Keeton Fick Hall: 1912.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1895 : 1926.
Nongqawuse Grave: 1969.
Old Mill: n.d..
Post Office: c1960.
Volkskas - ABSA: n.d..
Wood and iron Church School: n.d..