Karel Landman Monument
LUPINI BROTHERS : Contractor
Coert STEYNBERG: Artist
Click to view map
GDJ Aucamp initiated the idea of a local monument to commemorate the centenary of the trek from the Eastern Cape by the Voortrekker party under leadership of Karel Landman, the largest trek party from the ward of Olifantshoek in Uitenhage. JA Scheepers, donated the land from the farm Kol-rant. Gerard MOERDIJK was approached for the design which was approved in May of 1939, although the granite plinth had been inaugurated on 16 December 1938. The concrete and terrazzo monument was manufactured by LUPINI BROTHERS in Johannesburg at a cost of £470 (R940 then). The monument was unveiled on 16 December 1939 by WA Landman, descendent of Karel Landman.
The bas relief oxwagon was done by Coert Steynberg.
See also Karel Landman's House.
Writings about this entry