Main Street, Port Elizabeth.
This is one of the handsomest and best built streets in South Africa. It is over two-and-a-half miles in length (4km), and has a peculiarly English appearance, which is very noticeable. Here most of the great Port Elizabeth mercantile firms, whose branches are all over South Africa, have their head places of business. The building on the right is the Post Office, and the handsome obelisk in the foreground was the gift of the late Mr. John Patterson, to which a drinking fountain has been added by the Town Council. The view is taken from the top of the Town Hall portico.
Ref: Photographs of South Africa comprising Representative Views etc.; The South African Photo-Publishing Company, Cape Town, 1894: p, 65.
[Submitted by William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.