There are a number of Georgian houses in Salem, a typical example being Upper Crofts, a double-storeyed house set in lush greenery. The main facade of whitewashed stonework, topped by a low-pitched roof, is rectangular in the Georgian manner. With a central front door and a window placed on either side, the upper floor has three sash windows, whereas those below are casements. Each of the windows has a curved top, the stonework of the voussoirs showing through thick layers of whitewash. To one side is a lean-to addition, upsetting the symmetry of the frontage. The house was built c.1832 by William Carey Hobson, a British Settler, and was part of his estate until 1913. It was occupied by Samuel Best Shaw, principal of the Salem Academy (1856-1863) and is one of the oldest Settler homes in the district.
Proclaimed: 1986 05 09
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.