Although most of the Onderstraat erven between the church and parsonage were by this time in private ownership, the church and parsonage themselves were still on state land. Consequently the Rev. Shand with his consistory applied in 1851 to the Government for this land to be granted to the Church, and on the 3rd January, 1852 the diagrams were laid before the consistory - 7 morgen 73 square roods including the church and sexton's house, and 10 morgen 311 square roods including the parsonage. Being liable for the 25 Pounds surveyor’s fees, the consistory appointed a commission to advise on how a portion of the newly acquired church property could be disposed of to pay the debt.
After the church property had been consolidated by a third grant of state land, further erven were measured out in two blocks at the southern end of Church Street. Ten erven were sold shortly afterwards, and the first houses (nos. 17 and 21) built here. As more of these erven were sold, Church Street gradually extended in a southerly direction.
Was a National Monument now Provincial Heritage Resource.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry