Tulbagh, Western Cape

Founded: 1795

Named after Ryk Tulbagh, governor at the Cape.


Click to view large map

Laid out in 1795, the town was named after Ryk Tulbagh (1699-1771), Governor of the Cape from 1751-1771. The region was originally Land van Waveren, and this section, as a district, was named Tulbagh by JW Janssens in 1804. Tulbagh attained municipal status in 1861.

On 29 September 1969 a severe earthquake seriously damaged a number of buildings, including historic houses in Church Street. With financial support from various bodies, the Tulbagh Restoration Committee restored the historic buildings in this street and acquired many of the properties in order to restore and preserve the street scene as well. The houses are mostly in the Cape Dutch and Victorian styles, and date from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth centuries.

[Richardson Deidré, 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. p, 156.]

List of structures:

Algemene handelaarswinkel: n.d..
Ballotina: 1814.
Blockhouse: c1901.
Bokerk, Die: n.d..
Church Street 42 : Restoration: 1970.
Drostdy: 1804 : 1973-1974.
Drostdy Hotel: pre 1979.
Erf 255: n.d..
Erf 56: n.d..
Geboortehuis van H A Fagan: n.d..
Historic Building: n.d..
Historic House: n.d..
Historic House: n.d..
Historic House: n.d..
House Bongi and Deane: 2015.
House for Sir Alfred Beit at Tulbagh (later called Mon Bijou): n.d..
House Krone: 1979.
Kruis Valley Church: 1871.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1973.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1927.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1878.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Now Museum: 1748 : 1795.
Nuwekloof Pass: 1860.
Old Gaol: n.d..
Old Mission Church: 1846.
Onderkerk, Die: n.d..
Paddagang: n.d..
Parsonage, Old: 1765 : 1769.
Public school hostel: 1931.
Railway Bridge: n.d..
Roodezand Pass (also Roodesand, Tulbagh Kloof, Nuwekloof): 1859-1860.
Schools - Primary and High: pre 1910.
St Peter's Anglican Mission Union Church: n.d..