Anglican Cathedral of St Andrew and St Michael
Alfred Stan(d)ley ALLUM: Architect
Arthur Hemsworth BYRD: Architect
Click to view map
On 25 November 1850, Major Henry Douglas Warden laid the foundation stone for Cathedral building. Designed by WOCKE ascribed to a design by D MALE. When the British troops left Bloemfontein in 1854 work on the Cathedral stopped and from 1854 to 1858 the building stood unattended and neglected. The building was then used as a fort, and later even as a sheep kraal.
On 4 October 1863 Edward Twells was enthroned as Bishop of Bloemfontein and work on the Cathedral restarted — by removing the old structure and starting afresh. The new cathedral was consecrated on 30 November 1866.
There were additions by ALLUM in 1876 and by BYRD in 1885.
(Extracted and edited from the Cathedral website)
Writings about this entry