Shree Siva Subrahmanya Alayam
Hubert William WALKER: Supervising Architect
Click to view map
Ground was purchased in 1893 by various settlers who came mainly from Mauritius. The temple was built in 1901. The builder was from India but it is possible that it was designed by K PILLAY who is known to have been called to Port Elizabeth at that time. The simple dome form would date this temple before the Umbilo River temple in Durban, where he was influenced by the work of K REDDY. (Mikula et al 1982:88)
The Temple is extant and is now enclosed within a small complex of buildings and walls. Fortunately the later buildings are separate structures and hence the integrity of the original building is retained.
The original temple was constructed in 1901. Tenders for its construction were called for by the architect Hubert WALKER and it has been widely assumed that he was the architect. It however seems more likely that he supervised the construction as Pillay was based in Durban. (Gerald Humphrey, September 2017)
Writings about this entry