please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Lion SynagogueMorris (Morrie) Jacob HARRIS: Architect
Doornfontein, Johannesburg, Gauteng
|Street:||120 Siemert Road|
Click to view map
26°11'38.36" S 28°03'29.78" E Alt: 1733m
(Praagh 1906: 276, 277 ill; RAU doc)
Wording on blue plaque:
JOHANNESBURG HERITAGE SITE
The Lions Shul
The Synagogue, an impressive souvenir of
Jewish Doornfontein, was built in 1906 to serve the
growing Jewish community. The architect was M.J. Harris,
son of Johannesburg's first rabbi. M.L. Harris.
The architecture is eclectic, combining western Mannerist
columns with Lithuanian domes thus evoking memories
of the homelands of this immigrant community.
The Lions represent the Lion of Judah, whose
name signifies Praise of God, while the
young lions indicate strength,
courage and vitality.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Oxley, John. 1992. Places of Worship in South Africa. Halfway House: Southern Book Publishers. pg 157-158|