Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

House H Ansaldi - Stonehenge - Villa St James
St James, Western Cape

Francis John FREEMAN: Architect
Joseph Andrew SMITH: Architect
Herbert Thomas JONES: Architect 1911
John George Douglas HOETS: Architect 1918
William Hood (Billy) GRANT: Architect 1931
tripadvisor'>

Date:1901 : 1911 : 1918 : 1931
Client:Mrs H Ansaldi | Dr CP Smuts | HP Rudd | Mrs Haarof
Type:Homestead
Style:Italianate : Italianate
Status:Extant
Street:36 Main Road

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
34°07'02.94" S 18°27'35.48" E Alt: 20m

Built on the site of a 1901 double-storey which was later altered by architects F. Freeman, D. Hoets and J.A. Smith.

1911 additions and alterations including a garage by Herbert Jones.

In 1918 Hoets designed two new verandahs, an en-suite bedroom, linen room, staff quarters.

At some point the house named 'Rocklands' belonged to H.P. (Percy) Rudd who served on the board of De Beers Consolidated Mines in Kimberley, and retired at the coast. He bought the properties on either side so that there would be no immediate neighbours. It was named after a group of rocks in the sea opposite the house. Now Villa St James.

1931. Alterations by WH GRANT.

(SAB Dec 1931:43; SAB Jan 1933:33; Pryce-Lewis list 15 774).

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.