Arthur Nathan Swimming Bath
Click to view map
The Arthur Nathan Swimming Pool in Bloemfontein was opened in 1907. It was initially known as the Fairview pool, but in 1967 it was renamed to honour the former swimmer and coach Arthur Nathan. It was a true product of imported British culture, as the whole pool was covered by a steel roof structure imported from England, at great cost.
The facility was built as a profit-centre for the Bloemfontein Corporation (British for Municipality), but few residents even knew it was open in winter. By 1925 the roof had been removed and re-purposed as a cover for the local produce market. In 1927 a local Dominee objected to mixed (male and females) swimming, and swimming on Sundays.
(South African Aquatic Sport History, accessed 2023 12 29)