Click to view map
The Reverend Frank Dowling of the local Anglican Church leased this stand with a house on it from the Company in 1884. In 1895 the lease of this stand was transferred into the name of Messrs. Bourke & Co. From 1895 to 1912 the lease for this stand was registered in the name of the firm S. Butcher & Sons. In 1912 John Hiddingh Alcock leased this stand and in 1913 Alcock and McIntyre came to an agreement that each party would lease half of the empty stand between their two businesses. Both parties then extended their buildings on these half stands. Alcock operated a General Dealer business in this building until 1923 when he lost all his money due to his mining ventures at the Frankfort Mine. The building was sold to Thomas Henry Youlden who in turn sold it to Hugh McDougall in 1925. McDougall opened the Pilgrim's Rest Garage in this building. McDougall sold the garage to Frederick Charles Snell and Frederick Anthony Hartman in March 1927.
This business was liquidated in 1929 and the lease transferred into the name of Edward Evan Evans. Evans sold the building to Josiah McDonald in 1935. Paul Philippus Ahlers bought the building in 1936 and moved the Central Garage to this stand. In 1946 the lease was transferred into the name of Ahlers' son-in-law, Andrew Meyer Landman. Landman sold the garage to Schalk Willem Burger and Jacob Pieter Daniel Burger in 1953. Judith Marie Leonie Schmitz bought the garage in 1958 and carried on with the business on this site until 1982. The Central Garage was operated in this building until 1983 when the business moved to the present Highwayman's Garage site in Down Town.
(Rene Reinders. 2016:Item 31. Submitted by Annelise Lange)