Pilgrim's Rest, Mpumalanga

Founded: 1873

Named by a digger, Alec Patterson, who found gold he believed would enable him to rest after a long pilgrimage, seeking fortune.

 


Click to view large map

The entire town of Pilgrim's Rest was declared a National Monument in 1986.

Visit the Pilgrim's Rest website.

List of references:

Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pp 69
Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 198, 208-210
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 334
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 182-183
Reinders, René . 2016. Pilgrim's Rest Buildings and Historic Sites. Place of publication not identified: René Reinders. pp All
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 256

List of structures:

Alcock's Restaurant: 1913.
Bank: 1906.
Halfway House: 1904.
Iron Store: n.d..
Lodge Blyde: 1904.
Mona Cottage: 1907 : 1997.
Mount Sheba Lodge: 1960s.
Mrs Mac's General Dealer: c1890.
Old Print House: n.d..
Pilgrim's and Sabie News: pre 1900.
Post Office: c1911.
Robber's Pass: 1983.
Rose Cottage: pre 1897.
Royal Cottage: 1894.
Royal Hotel: c1890s.
Royal Liquor Store: 1919.
St Mary's Anglican Church: 1884.
St Mary's Hall - Town Hall: c1900.
ZAR Road Bridge over the Blyde River (Joubert Bridge): 1897.