Click to view map
The land, originally owned by Antoni Visser to graze his cattle, passed through several ownerships, in which time the double-storeyed residence was erected. When William Hurter's widow, after his death in 1808, sold the house in 1814 to the Admiralty it effectively became Admiralty House. It served as the private residence of successive Commanders-in-Chief of the British Admiralty, thereafter that of the Chief of the South African Navy, until their relocation to Pretoria. It was then used as a naval entertainment venue and visitor's residence.
New local Historic magazine, Cape Odyssey. Interesting article on a Simon's Town landmark.
Writings about this entry