Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport
Click to view map
The airport in Port Elizabeth was first established in 1929 but it was not until 1950 that works started on the permanent terminal building and air traffic control tower. These were finally opened in 1955. Architecturally the buildings had elements of late Art Deco and Festival of Britain and were seen as symbolic of the progress of the city. The new airport was featured as the backdrop for the Chevrolet adverts in the 1950's.
A new terminal building was opened in 1980 which in turn was replaced in 2000 when major upgrades were carried out to consolidate the arrivals and departures in a single terminal building. Unfortunately the architecture of the new building is rather banal and lacks the points of interest of the original.
Parts of original 1950's building (including the air traffic control tower) have been retained but these are no longer public areas.
The airport was formally known as HF Verwoerd Airport (1970's through to 1998) and then Port Elizabeth International until 2021, when the name was again changed to Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport.
(Gerald Humphrey, May 2021)