Click to view map
East London Harbour, situated at the mouth of the Buffalo River, is South Africa's only remaining river port.
"East London's port terminal history starts in 1848, when the British military decided to build a port to supply the garrison in King William's Town. The port therefore traces its heritage back to the Frontier Wars and the supply of military equipment, supplies and personnel.
Construction on the main harbour began in 1872 and in 1873 work began on the breakwater". (Source: Transnet: Eastern Cape Heritage mirrored in its port terminals)
(Submitted by Dorothy Adendorff)
For a history see Wikipedia