Jagger House, Kingswood College
Click to view map
Boarding House of Kingswood College.
Transcript of a freestanding plaque mounted on the pavement:
Boarder numbers grew from 51 in 1899 to 95 in 1902 and so a decision was taken in May 1902 to build additional accommodation. The "New Boarding House" (as it was known) was completed in 1904 but the post war depression resulted in fewer boarders and the need for the new house had temporarily disappeared. In 1908 sixteen students, some training for the Methodist ministry, were in residence under Rev Arthur Wellington. It also served as a men's residence for Rhodes University.
In 1915 it became Kingswood's first preparatory school boarding house, run semi-independently from the senior school. With the closure of the Wesleyan High School for Girls (WHS), the preparatory division moved to the building vacated by the girls, soon to be called Jacques House, and New Boarding House was changed in name to Jagger House, commemorating John William Jagger, a businessman and statesman, in recognition of his magnificent gift of £10 000 to the College in 1930. Ever since then it has been one of the senior boys' houses.