Click to view map
The original hotel was constructed on the site located on the corner on Marine Drive and 6th Ave in 1939. The four storey Art Deco Building was retained when the hotel was extended to the north in 1948 with the addition of the more modern 7 storey block, also designed by Siemerink and Brinkman. (A 1930's apartment Block called "Rockdale Mansions" was apparently demolished to make way for the extension.) The top floor of the new block was originally a restaurant and function venue called "The Skyroof" and was known for its Dinner Dance on Saturday evenings which remained popular until well into the 1970's. The Hotel also included a restaurant "De Kelder" which still exists (2020), making it one of the city's longest running restaurants.
The hotel has changed hands several times over the years and the Art Deco Block was significantly altered c1995, increasing the size of the windows and altering the top floor in the block, to creat mezzanine type rooms. The Art Deco Entrance canopy was also demolished at this time.
(Gerald Humphrey, April 2021)
These notes were last edited on 2021 04 28
Writings about this entry