Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Parsonage, Old
Tulbagh, Western Cape

Date:1765 : 1769
Type:Parsonage
Style:Cape Dutch
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°16'55.61" S 19°08'18.05" E Alt: 152m

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Pastorie.

The House is an example of the High Cape Dutch era. It is located at the top of Church Street, on the axis of the road. The Dutch Reformed Church is located off axis at the other end.

Originally a parsonage had been built on the site in 1743 but was poorly constructed and needed to be replaced by 1765. The current house has a U-shaped plan and the main elevation includes the typical high sash windows with shutters only to the lower half of the window and Hol-Bol entrance gable. There are also a number of early out buildings within the grounds of the house.

The house has been a National Monument (now Provincial Heritage Site) since the 1950's and is still used as the Parsonage.

(Gerald Humphrey, 2019)


Books that reference Parsonage, Old

Trotter, Alys Fane. 1900. Old colonial houses of the Cape of Good Hope : illustrated and described. London: B. T. Batsford. pg 13