Railway Bridge over the Kaaimans River
NK PRETTEJOHN: Supervising Engineer
RA GLENDAY: Engineer on site
MD VALLERO: Contractor
Click to view map
The railway between George and Knysna was first proposed 1922 and the construction of the line started two years later. The works commenced from both ends of the line at the same time and was finally opened in 1928.
The Bridge, which crosses the mouth of the Kaaimans River, soon became a tourist attraction in it own right. It is 210 m long and 36 m high.
Tragically this railway was badly damaged in heavy floods in 2006, forcing its closure. In 2016 it was reported that works would begin on its repair. The first phase being the section just outside Knysna (further away from the bridge). It is hoped that the line to George will be reopened in 2020 but sadly this looks increasingly unlikely.
(Gerald Humphrey, December 2017)
See also History of the Line and Current Status by Friends of the Choo-Tjoe.
In 2019 the South African Institute of Civil Engineering erected a commemorative plaque.
These notes were last edited on 2020 03 08