Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Zending Kerk - Museum
Montagu, Western Cape

Date:1907
Type:Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°47'20.06" S 20°07'14.99" E Alt: 219m

This DR Mission Church was inaugurated on 24 November 1907. It lost its congregation in the late 1960s because of the forced removals of the community in terms of the Group Areas Act. The building then stood empty for some years.

It was proclaimed a National Monument in 1975, now a Provincial Heritage Site. In the same year, the municipality established the Montagu Museum here. Today the museum comprises this building and the Joubert House. See Wikipedia and Montagu website.

Submitted by Lila Komnick


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 1978. Guide to the Museums of Southern Africa. Cape Town: Galvin & Sales (Pty) Ltd, for the Southern African Museums Association. pg 73
Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2012. A Platteland Pilgrimage : 102 country churches of South Africa . South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 107