The Market was started in 1859 soon after the establishment of the Bloemfontein Town Council. In 1882 Market Square was enriched with more permanent structure designed by WOCKE. It had two chimneys and clock tower described as a "hideously squat belfry" and was immediately heightened.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry