Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Town Hall - Civic Centre
Krugersdorp, Gauteng

Charles HOSKING: Architect 1907
MEYER PIENAAR AND PARTNERS: Architect 1981

Date:1907 : 1937 : 1941 : 1947 : 1950 : 1981-84/86
Client:Krugersdorp Municipality
Type:Municipal Offices
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°06'02.70" S 27°46'19.86" E

'[The Town Hall is].... Mildly French ..., free of usual [neo-classical] overloading.' (Greig, 1971: 166). Companion to Court House opposite.

----------------------

During a public meeting on July 12, 1906, it was decided to construct a town hall in Krugersdorp, where the building would also house all municipal offices, the fire brigade and the library. The building contractors were Robson and Holton. Initially, there was controversy surrounding the location of the Town Hall as it was to be built on the existing market square. However, on May 10, 1907, the cornerstone was laid by Lord Selbourne, Governor of the Transvaal and Orange Free State. The Town Hall was completed on December 21, 1907, and the official opening took place in February 1908.

The Westminster Tower Clock was a gift from Abe Bailey, businessman and owner of the York Mine, to Krugersdorp, and was inaugurated on 16 April 1908.

Plans in 1936 to build a new municipal complex never materialised. A ground-floor extension was added behind the hall in 1937. A second floor was built on top of this extension in 1941. Ahead of the Royal Visit in 1947, renovations were undertaken in 1946. The portico was added in 1947, specifically for the reception of King George VI. In 1950, two wings were added.

The Town Hall (main hall, corridor, stairs, and council chamber), with its surrounding wall, was declared a National Heritage Site in 1995.

The site includes:
- Strijdom Arch erected in memory of JG Strijdom, designed by T Pitout (1962).
- A cast iron drinking fountain by the Glasgow-based MacFarlane Foundry (1910).
- The Centenary Hall (1987) with a wall frieze in the foyer by sculptor and ceramist Charles Gotthard.
- Market Hall (1930s) now completely enclosed by the Town Hall complex.

(Summary by Paul v d Merwe from Krugersdorp News, March 31, 2025)

----------------------

The Town Hall was adaptively incorporated into the Civic Centre by MEYER PIENAAR AND PARTNERS in 1981.


References:

Beck, Haig (Editor). 1985. UIA International Architect : Southern Africa (Issue 8). London: International Architect. pg 50-51
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 166