Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Pavilion and Tidal Bath
Sea View, Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth), Eastern Cape

JONES and McWILLIAMS: Architect



Click to view map

33°59'57.88" S 25°19'15.29" E

Constructed in 1936 but originally designed 1934

Demolished c2007.

1934 - Cumming-George: 88

The bath itself is the largest tidal bath in this country, being even greater in size than the Sea Point one. The pavilion shown in the sketch is probably the first stage only of what will eventually be a series of similar terraces containing dressing-boxes, etc. The unit shown has accommodation for 160 persons of both sexes, with lavatories, stores and attendants' rooms.

The whole structure is of reinforced concrete left rough from the shuttering and bagged; with a final coat of light tan distemper.

The woodwork — such as doors, etc. — is to be painted in bright clean colours, while the undersides of the concrete umbrella-shelters are to be tiled with coloured glazed tiles.

The retaining wall is about 3 ft. (915 mm) thick at the base, as, during high tides, the waves break against it. The top is hollow — allowing plants to be grown along the parapet.

Future extension will consist of another "deck" of undressing boxes, forming yet another terrace behind the existing building.

The paving of the terraces and surround to the bath is in alternate blue and cream concrete slabs; the whole area of the bottom of the bath also being similarly treated.

The wall forming the sea end of the bath is arranged with funnel-shaped apertures facing the waves, and inclined tubes leading up through the wall, making a series of blowholes. Each wave that breaks against the wall sends a jet of water twenty feet into the air over the bath!

A layout, comprising bowling and putting greens, tennis courts, car parks, terraces, etc., is under construction, as an approach to the bath.

(AB&E Jan 1936:7 ill; SA Archt Jun 1939:89 ill)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.

Writings about this entry

Cumming-George, L. 1934. Architecture in South Africa - Volume Two. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pg 88