Hellenic Government School
(SAB Feb 1928:45)
The Hellenic Government School opened its doors in 1931 with about 100 Greek pupils and 20 non-Greek children. By 1944, however, it had become too small for the growing number of pupils. They were therefore moved in that year to the new Hillcrest Primary School, which was a stone's throw away. Bereft of governmental funding and having as only a few Greek pupils had remained, the Hellenic school closed down. In April 1948 the semi-ruined school became a home for the destitute. It was then renamed to the Jimmy O'Connor Old Age(d) Home. We could, however, find no municipal source for this. O'Connor was a City Councillor. The school buildings were demolished only in 1958 to make way for the three-storeyed Malvern High School, which opened in 1959.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.