WHITE, WilliamBorn: 1825
Died: 1900 01 22
Responsible for some architectural work in South Africa, was a London-born architect who trained in the offices of Mr Squirrell in Leamington. On completion of articles he worked in London in the office of Giles Gilbert Scott, becoming friendly with GE Street and GF Bodley. In 1844 he opened practice on his own account in Truro, Cornwall, but returned to London in 1852. A keen ecclesiastical architect, he was a member of the Professional Committee of Incorporated Societies for Building and Enlarging Churches and served on the RIBA Council in 1865/ 1866, was President of the Architectural Association (1868-1869) and wrote several articles for 'The Ecclesiologist'; he designed the (Anglican?) Cathedral of Madagascar (n.d.). His link with South Africa was as through his brother Henry Master White, principal of the newly founded school at 'Woodlands' (the Diocesan College (Bishop's) at Rondebosch in the Cape, who enlisted his brother's skills to design the first formal school buildings on the site. The buildings are based on those of Radley College in England and were begun in 1852 and form part of the Founders' Quadrangle. He was also apparently responsible for the first plans of the Anglican Cathedral in Pretoria in about 1857. In 1880 White added a chancel and side chapels to St Paul's Anglican church in Rondebosch.
(White was apparently the nephew of Gilbert White of Selbourne.)
FRIBA 1859; FSA. (Eastlake (date?):291-94; Greig 1970, 1971; McIntyre 1950; Radford 1979; RIBA Jnl Feb 10 1900:145-46)
See also Wikipedia.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Anglican Cathedral, designs for: 1857. Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |
|Diocesan College, Founder's House: 1853. Rondebosch, Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|St Paul's Church - Second: 1849 : 1854 : 1880. Rondebosch, Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|St Philip's Anglican Church: 1860. Fingo Village, Makhanda (Grahamstown), Eastern Cape - Architect |
Books citing WHITE