DE ZWAAN and VAN DYKEstablished: 1884?
Also DE ZWAAN & VAN DIJK.
According to research done on the architecture of the Sammy Marks's house at Zwartkops near Pretoria, the house was designed by WJ DE ZWAAN and LW VAN DYK in about 1884. Various adverts appear in De Volkstem of the time stating that the partnership DE Zwaan & van Dyk had relocated to Bank Lane opposite Dr Nessels laboratory (De Volkstem 1889-07-15), and later advertising a call for tenders by DE Zwaan and Van Dijk for the construction of a Villa and two Villas in the block on erf 620 Skinner Street for Fred Jeppe and the Transvaal Mortgage and Loan Company (De Volkstem 1889-09-16). DE ZWAAN and VAN DYK were listed together in partnership in the General Directory of South Africa of 1898-1899.
(General dir of SA 1898-99; TAB 1893 13489 PW/2/BR604/88; De Volkstem 1889-07-15; De Volkstem 1889-09-16; Curator, Sammy Marks Museum 1988)
Atkinson, A.K.W. 1969. Old Ivory and Roses. The Pretoria Club. Pretoria: Wallach's Printing & Publishing Co. 1969
[Our thanks to Rosa Swanepoel for researching this entry (2011-01-17)]
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|House Sammy Marks - Marks Museum: c1884. Zwartkops, Gauteng - Architect |
|Zwartkoppies - House Sammy Marks - Marks Museum: c1884. Zwartkops, Gauteng - Architect |
Books citing DE ZWAAN and VAN DYK
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 174-175|