MOLLISON, WilliamBorn: fl. 1905
Was probably born in South Africa; he was articled for four years to McINTOSH & MOFFAT in Johannesburg and Pretoria from 1905 until 1909. In May 1909 he joined the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT in Pretoria, as an assistant architect, and remained with the PWD for the rest of his career. His four years of war service during the First World War were spent in Egypt and in France from 1915-1919, and was wounded in 1918. He returned to the PWD and took the RIBA examination in 1926, registering as a member of the Institute of South African Architects in 1927 while living in Cape Town. At some point he was appointed the head of the Natal Provincial Works Department. In 1935, when FD Strong retired from the post of chief architect of the PWD, Mollison was appointed his successor, he held this post from 1935/6 until 1941. During his period of office he designed the Oliewenhuis, Harry Smith Street in Bloemfontein (1940-1), now the Bloemfontein Art Gallery. ARIBA 1927; TIA; ISAA 1936. (AB&E Nov 1935:8; ARIBA nom papers (1927) 4131); ISAA mem list; PSL 1938; PWD ar 1918, 1935-36; SAAR Dec 1927:105)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
Books citing MOLLISON
|ISAA. 1927. Register of Members the Institute of South African Architects. Johannesburg: ISAA (Unpublished Record). pp M21|