Camps Bay, Western Cape

 


Click to view large map

Camps Bay was named after Friedrich/Fredrik von Kamptz, a German sailor who had arrived at the Cape in 1778. He married the wealthy widow Anna Wernich, whose farm Ravensteyn was situated in the area known as Camps Bay today. It was first known as the “Baai van von Kamptz”, which eventually evolved into Camps Bay.

List of references:

De Beer, Mona. 1987. Lion Mountain, The : and the story of Bantry Bay, Clifton and Camps Bay on the Atlantic Coast of the Cape Peninsula. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 89-133
Robins, Gwynne Schrire & Turok, Hillel . 2003. Camps Bay: An Illustrated History. Cape Town: Tricolor Press. pp All

List of structures:

2 Shops, 2 flats, restaurant and 3 garages for J Lurie: 1930. Camps Bay,
Camps Bay Civic Centre: n.d..
Camps Bay Hotel: 1938.
House Bertie-Roberts: 1966.
House de Kock: 1965.
House Fagan - Die Es: 1965.
House Gardener: 1972.
House Meyer: 1960s.
House van Loon: 1963.
Marine Hotel: n.d. : 1938.
Marine Villa: 1823.
Rotunda and Concert Hall Pavilion: 1902.
Rotunda Hotel: pre-1944.
St Peter’s Anglican Church: n.d..
St Theresa Catholic Church: 1931.
Victoria Road: 1884-1888.
War Memorial: 1920.