Mossel Bay, Western Cape

Founded: 1601

Named after a great collection of mussel shells found in a cave at Cape St Blaize by Paulus van Caerden.


Click to view large map

List of references:

Stander, Siegfried . 1988. Mosselbaai 500 Jaar. Mosselbaai: Munisipaliteit Mosselbaai. pp All
Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 90-95, 147
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 479-483
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 269-275
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 74
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 121
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 82-83
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 123-125

List of structures:

Beach Pavilion: n.d..
Bioscope: pre-1921.
Customs Building: 1874.
Entrance to poort or swimming place: c1928.
Gaol: pre 1862.
Goods Office and Shed: 1900-1902.
Lighthouse, Cape St Blaize: 1862-1864.
Maritime and Shell Museum: 1989.
Methodist Church: 1906.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1949.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1878-1880.
Park Primary School: 1968.
Point High School: 1909.
Prince, Vintcent & Co. General merchants: 1901.
Protea Hotel Santos: n.d..
Robinson Pass: 1867-1869.
St Blaize Terrace: 1909.
St Peter's Anglican Church: 1877 : c1910.
St Thomas' Catholic Church: 1885 : 1935.
War Memorial, The Poort: c1920.
WJ Swart and Son Carpenters and Joiners: c1898.
Wolwedans Dam: 1989.