Franschhoek, Western Cape

Founded: 1881

Name means 'French glen',


Click to view large map

First settled by French Huguenots in 1688.

List of references:

Burrows, Edmund Hartford . 1994. Overberg Odyssey : people, roads and early days. Swellendam: Privately printed in co-operation with the Swellendam Trust. pp 31
Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 32, 55, 71, 72-75
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 283-285
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 192-194
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 118
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 34
Malherbe, JE. 1996. History of Franschhoek, The [History Series Nr 1]. Franschhoek: Huguenot Memorial Museum. pp All
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 83-84
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 108-109
Warner, Brian. 2006. Cape landscapes : Sir John Herschel's sketches 1834-1838. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press. pp 130, 131, 140-142, 143, 144

List of structures:

Bien Donné: 1800.
Boschendal: 1812.
House Hugo: c1984.
House Hugo - Cabriere: 1977.
Huguenot Memorial: 1948.
Huguenot Memorial Museum: 1966.
La Dauphine: 1804 : 1968.
La Provence, now Grande Provence: c1760 : 1815 : 1969.
Languedoc Housing for Rhodes' Fruit Farms: 1899-1902.
Maison: 2005.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1847 : 1881 : 1968.
NG Kerk Pastorie: 1927.
NG Kerk Saal: 1963.
Rhone: 1795.
Town Hall: n.d..
Town hall, proposed: 1931.
Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk: 1895.
Volkskas Bank - now ABSA: pre 1964.
Wemmershoek Dam: 1957.
Wemmershoek Dam Administration Building and Purification Plant: 1957.
Wemmershoek Dam Hoist Gallery: 1957.
Wemmershoek Dam Inflow-outflow Control Station: 1957.