Durbanville, Western Cape
Named after Sir Benjamin D'Urban, Governor of the Cape from 1834 – 1838.
Click to view large map
With its fresh water springs, Durbanville originated as an outspan for travellers from Cape Town to the north. It was called Pampoenkraal. In 1836 it was renamed D'Urban after Sir Benjamin D'Urban, Governor of the Cape from 1834 – 1838. In 1886 the name was changed to Durbanville to avoid confusion with the port city of Durban.
List of references:
List of structures: