Caledon, Western Cape

Founded: 1715

Named after the Governor, the Earl of Caledon.


Click to view large map

Originally called Swartberg, the name was changed in 1813.

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 55, 62, 64, 65, 67
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 427-431
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 155-161
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 43
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 69-70
Schoeman, Chris . 2017. Historical Overberg, The. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 39-43
Warner, Brian. 2006. Cape landscapes : Sir John Herschel's sketches 1834-1838. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press. pp 146, 147, 149

List of structures:

Caledon Baths - Sanatorium - Hotel: pre-1905.
Caledon Helderstroom Prison: 2001-2009.
Caledon Hot Mineral Baths, adds: pre-1908.
Caledon Sanatorium: n.d..
Cottage Hospital: n.d..
Deputy Landdrost’s House: 1811.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church: 1855.
House de Wet: 1975.
House Kleinhans: 1965.
Kramat Sayed Abdul Kader: n.d..
Masonic Hall - Museum: 1917.
Messenger's House: 1811.
National Hotel: c1902.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1959.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1813.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1874-77.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Caledon Wes: 1978.
Parson's House: 1811.
Post Office: 1940.
Post Office: pre-1911.
Prison: 1811.
Sanatorium and Baths: pre-1908.
Town Hall: pre-1908.
Victorian House Museum: Late 1800s.