KwaDukuza (Stanger), KwaZulu-Natal

Founded: 1873

First named after Dr William Stanger, first Surveyor General of Natal.

Built on the site of kwaDukuza, 'the place of the lost person', the capital of Zulus built by Shaka.

List of references:

Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 258
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 230-231

List of structures:

Church (denomination uncertain): 1913.
Grave of King Shaka / Shaka Memorial: 1932.
Jubilee Cottages for MOTHS: 1935.
Public hall: 1935.
Victoria Hotel: 1934.
Victoria Hotel, add: 1930.