Grabouw, Western Cape

Founded: 1856

Named after the birthplace in Germany of W Langschmidt the first settler


Click to view large map

Originally called Grabow

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 62-63
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 423
Schoeman, Chris . 2017. Historical Overberg, The. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 25

List of structures:

Cole's Pass: 1831.
Elgin Ridge Wine Cellar: n.d..
Farmhouse Tang: 1958.
Harris Bros. General Merchants: n.d..
House Hugo: n.d..
House Ryke: 1963.
House Ryke: 1959.
House Smit Venter: 2007.
Krabbefonteyn: 2015.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1953.
Old Gaol: n.d..
Parish Hall: 1948.
Peregrine Pop-Up Shops: n.d..
Rail Bridge over the Palmiet River: n.d..
Road Bridge over the Palmiet River: n.d. : 1956.
St Michael's Church: n.d..
Watermill: n.d..