Historical Mile of Muizenberg
The Historical Mile is located on the Main Road, Muizenberg and includes the Recreational Grounds which are on the site of the old barracks erected c. 1740; Muizenberg Station; die Post Huys c. 1673; the old Post Office, later a court house; the old Carnegie Library erected in 1910 and later used as a police station; Casa Labia erected in 1929 as the home of Count and Countesss Natale Labia; the two stone villas adjacent to The Fort, and Yokohama, know for many years as the "paper mache" house, which was imported from Japan. On the mountain side opposite Bailey's Cottage are the trenches used in the Battle of Muizenberg, (on the site of the Eastern Battery erected during the First British Occupation and designed by Thibbault); Rust-en-Vrede designed by Sir Herbert Baker for Sir Abe Bailey; Rhodes Cottage and Garlick's House. The Whole of the area Described was the focus of the Battle of Muizenberg in 1795. The only guns fired from Dutch East India Company fortifications were fired from the site of Casa Labia and an area below it near Die Post Huys.