M Cockburn & Co
Gowanbank Ironworks, Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
1864 Established by Malcolm Cockburn (former employee of Falkirk Iron Co and Union Foundry, Camelon and former partner in Burnbank Foundry) and Andrew Cockburn and Andrew Maclaren of London. Originally known as Gowanbank Iron Works, Oakbank St, Glasgow.
1905 the company became M. Cockburn and Co Ltd when it moved to Falkirk. 1922 Cockburns linked up with McDowall Steven and Co, Planet and Coalbrookdale to form the Light Castings Group.
1929 they became part of Allied Ironfounders.
1937 Listed Exhibitor. Display of Cockburn Bathroom Equipment. The exhibition comprise Baths, Basins, etc., of the luxurious type. Notable are the "Lavalect" Panelled Basin having built-in hot water unit, and the "Augustan" Cupboard Basin. (Stand Nos. B.609 and B.508)
1961 The companies in Allied Ironfounders were dissolved and became subsidiaries of Allied Ironfounders.
1969 Allied Ironfounders was taken over by Glynwed in 1969
1977 Cockburns was closed.
1977 Taken over by McDowall Steven and Co.
See Graces guide Sourced 2015 04 12 08:25