Jan Jacob VAN DE KOPPEL: Contractor
(SAB Apr 1930:53; SA Acad exhib 1931; Ellis 1985)
After seven years the building built in 1923 had become too small and in 1929 purchased an alternative stand for a new building. Kitching (p. 193) states that this was on the western side of Church Square, but also notes that the stand was adjacent the Erasmus Building (which stood on the eastern side, so this must be an error). This second building was constructed by Van de Koppel en Kie. Construction commenced in May 1930 and the building was inaugurated in September 1930.
Carports were added in 1941 and Kitching states that an open area on the second floor was enclosed in 1947 to add more office space (p. 193).
(Nicholas Clarke February 2024)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry