Click to view map
The façade has remained much the same as in the old days. This section of the hotel has its original mud walls and was completed before 1896. Initially, there was a sand road in front of the Val Hotel. One of the proprietors, Mr. Pape, owned a parrot. Whenever an ox wagon came past the hotel, they would halt promptly at the whistle of the parrot. Needless to say, the parrot was not very popular among farmers trying to get 16 oxen on the move on a sand road, which was no easy feat.
[Extracted from the Val Hotel website, visit them for more information]