St James' Anglican Church
The church had a simple rectangular nave with exposed scissor trusses and intermittent steel tie bars at wall plate level. The lancet windows had pointed arches that matched the large internal pointed arch over what was presumably the 'altar' end of the nave.
The Transkeian Territories General Council purchased St James' Anglican Church in Umtata in 1907 and converted it for use as an Assembly Hall (see photograph), and used it up until 1927, when the Bhungha Building was constructed.
The street address and the fact that the church was for the white Anglican congregants of Mthatha was noted in a commemorative booklet titled One Hundred Years Catholic Church Umtata 1882 - 1982 by Father Marcel Dischl, published in Umtata in 1981.
[William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.