please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Mashishing (Lydenburg), Mpumalanga
The oldest grave in the cemetery is that of Gabriel Stefanus Mare (1790-1852). Another old grave is the one of Margrietha Magdalena Buhrmann (1830-1855) who was the first member inscribed in the Register of the Dutch Reformed Church.
There are also two graves of early Voortrekkers, which were moved from family graveyards to the Lydenburg cemetery.
- The Quinlan Family - Irish family from whom the first recruit to the Loreto ranks came - Mother Mary Philomena Quinlan
- Arnold F. Jansen - born in 1841 in Rotterdam, Holland - passed away 1895 - Magistrate
- Hendrina Elsabe Spies -1814 -1890 - first wife of Wilton Poen the first teacher of Lydenburg, daughter of Barend Spies
- Dr. Carl Menning (1854 -1949) - beloved doctor whom volunteered as ambulance-doctor in the veld during the Anglo Boer War. He was born in Coblenz in Germany and moved to-South Africa because the sunny climate relieved his poor health and then reached the age of 85
- Several graves of British soldiers who died during the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902
- A monument to commemorate Boer soldiers who died during the Second War of Independence 1899-1902.
[Information supplied by the Lydenburg Museum]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.