The cornerstone of the first church was laid on 1 January 1822 and inauguration took place on 31 December 1824. It was demolished in 1832. The neo-gothic replacement's cornerstone was laid on 18 July 1850. The church is closely associated with the 1820 Settlers, as well as the role of Methodism in South Africa.
Proclaimed: 1981 05 22. (Richardson, 2001:41)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry