Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Old Powder Magazine
Potchefstroom, North West

Date:1854-1857 : 1898
Type:Powder Magazine
Status:Extant but relocated
Street:Wolmarans Street

The powder magazine was erected between 1841 and 1863 and is one of the oldest existing buildings in Potchefstroom. This stone building played an important role from the time of its construction, especially during the First War of Independence (1880-1881).

(Richardson, 2001: 268)

"The first powder house, a place where gun powder is stored, was build between 1854 and 1857. It suffered severe damage when the British forces partially demolished it in 1880 to use the stones for the fort they were building nearby(see above about the old fort).

"It was later completely demolished and a new building erected in 1898. It is one of the oldest buildings still standing in Potchefstroom, but not in use anymore to store gun powder."

(Rural and Urban Exploration, accessed 2021 01 12)

It was declared a National Monument and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.

These notes were last edited on 2022 01 12


Writings about this entry

Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 268