Click to view map
Schoone Oordt is at the corner of Van Oudtshoorn Street. This house was built in 1853 by the Misses Anderson (se also 16 Van Oudtshoorn St). It is a double-storeyed, with five bays, and has a very fine veranda/balcony in front with elaborate ironwork. It has been well restored. It has a flat roof, but has a one-storey wing at the back with pitched iron roof (which is actually slightly higher than the double-storey roof). This back wing is a slightly later addition. [Walton: Double-storeyed ... p70.]
In the early 20th century it was owned by Abraham Buirski who added the Victorian double-storey cast iron filigree varandah.
(Swellendam Heritage Association. 2018:21)
These notes were last edited on 2021 06 07
Writings about this entry