Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Barry House
Swellendam, Western Cape

Date:1846 : 1860
Type:Offices
Status:Extant
Street:6 Voortrek Street

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
34°01'04.00" S 20°26'51.23" E Alt: 142m

A most impressive and handsome double-storeyed complex, with two parallel blocks under slate roofs, both with projecting pediments at the ends. It is made into a U by a wing at the side connecting to the back with a flat-roofed section. Both front and back have good Georgian facades (the front restored). A Bowler watercolour in the Drostdy Museum shows the block as it was up until 1860. The front wing was then a single-storey building with a thatch roof. Behind this, parallel with a narrow space between, was the double-storeyed building that is still there today. After 1860 the front block was raised to two storeys, too; the windows from the ground-floor were used for the upper floor, and new and larger windows were put into the lower storey. The two pediments on the right are inscribed 'B & N' for Barry & Nephews, and the date 1846. The complex has been well restored.

[Fransen p460.]

2017: Building has been converted into flats.


Writings about this entry

Swellendam Heritage Association. 2018. Treasures of Swellendam. Swellendam: Swellendam Heritage Association. pg 29